Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Still hooked

It is with a heavy heart that I (belatedly) report that Steve Novick, candidate for the U.S. Senate in Oregon, has narrowly lost the Democratic primary there. Novick first came to my attention a month or so ago, and only because Wonkette mentioned him in a post. The only reason they mentioned him at all, I think, was the same reason the story caught my interest - dude is 4'9'' and has a hook for a hand.

Seriously. He's like a pint-sized, New Jersey-born, Oregonian pirate.

Then I found out that he also has a firm grasp of the issues, a decade-long board membership on the Oregon Environmental Council, a degree from Harvard Law which he earned after dropping out of junior high to start college at 14, and easily the best political commercial I've ever seen.

It would be hard not to love this guy even if he was a moron (he opened a beer with his hook), but instead he's erudite, self-deprecating, and funny. In other words, I have a big old crush on a tiny, hobbit-like politico, and I'm sad he won't get a chance to run in the general.

But I haven't given up hope entirely. Leaders of failed senate campaigns from Oregon get nominated for Vice-President all the time, right? Obama/Novick '08!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Two posts in one day? To what does the internet owe this pleasure?

Scott said...

Also, I don't see how you could elect a pirate without also electing a competing ninja.

Kari said...

Mostly to the fact that I was home sick for the afternoon, and also to the guilt that arose from not posting for more than a month.

I think I would still pick him over a ninja, unless the ninja could open a beer with his nunchucks.