Monday, December 8, 2008

Baddest man in the whole damn town

I've been looking around for things to reassure myself that Christmas in Vienna is not going to be as sad as I'm afraid it might be. The latest of these is the fact that stores and supermarkets have (so far) not given themselves over to playing the same annoying Christmas songs over and over from the beginning of November. Instead, they've stuck to the usual bizarre array of old-to-newish, mostly American tunes that I haven't heard in ages. Today's installment was "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown", which was then - not unpleasantly, I might add - stuck in my head all day.

Reassuring thing #2 is that there is a guy right outside my residence selling teeny tiny Christmas trees, one of which I will soon purchase and install in my room, undoubtedly in slightly crooked fashion. Then I can decorate it cheap-student style, with popcorn strings and construction paper chains! Amanda, if you're reading this, we're going to make popcorn strings and construction paper chains while you're here. I'm afraid you have very little choice in the matter.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Agreed. If you can find some molasses, just buy it. We will make a hero house too. There is no molasses or corn syrup in all of Romania, as far as I can tell, which means no gingerbread or fudge.

I have xmas music on my mp3 player, and the Grinch. We´ll do an Austrian xmas right!

Kari said...

OMG I didn't even think of a hero house, but now it is my all-consuming goal to locate some molasses.

Amanda said...

I´ll ask around here and see if there is any possible way we can substitute it. If not, maybe it´s time for a hero.....?? We´ll think of something. We will be in Vienna, maybe a hero strudel is in order.

Eagles Nest said...

Glad to see that home traditions are creeping in to the two of you. Have a super time together. We will make some fudge here too, just to dedicate to you. Thanks Kari for taking in our homeless child. Ejoy...............Mum and Dad Johnson

Eagles Nest said...

Try to ENJOY yourselves too!!!!

Eagles Nest said...

Hey Kari, did Amanda get there yet?